Honeysuckle: An Allegory About Freeing Your Life from Dangerous Weeds



There’s honeysuckle in my backyard.

Like, a LOT of honeysuckle.

And it smells amazing. Step out of my house and the heady fragrance grabs you by the arm and urges you to skip to the mailbox instead of walking like a grown-up because OMG SPRING!

I love the smell of honeysuckle.

But it’s a killer.

I didn’t realize this until I took a botany class in college and my professor could be derailed into a 45-minute tangent with just the mention of the word honeysuckle. It’s an invasive species, and it grows quickly and selfishly, choking the life out of whatever is unfortunate enough to share its space.

But it’s gorgeous and it smells like happiness. It’s deceptive. Insidious.

I’m a bit of a people-pleaser. I’m not sure that’s a perfectly accurate label, but I do genuinely bend over backward to make others happy, to make their lives easier, to do the things I “ought” to do. I want to be needed and valued, and in that irrational little part of my brain that is still an insecure teenager, I’m pretty sure that the only way to be needed and valued is to say “yes” to everything.

This has led to some admittedly cool things. This year I was the newsletter editor for my twin mom club, and it was a neat opportunity. I modernized some things and got to work closely with some amazing women I may or may not have gotten to know so well had it not been for my board position. No regrets. It has allowed me to be there for friends in crises. I could never regret being a listening ear for my hurting friends.

It has also led to some unhealthy behaviors, ignoring my own physical and mental health needs to give of myself until it literally hurts.

This post originally appeared at Always, Katie - to finish reading the full text, please click here.

Comments

  1. Living in France is one thing desired by many individuals. If you want to live in France then you have to get French property. You can read the advertisement section of the newspapers which has the section of houses for sale in France. After making a suitable choice, you should research about the properties for sale in France. French property is now a days very much wanted also.

    If you want to live in France and spend your life there you should select a proper house. French property is not cheap and you need to make a major investment. You must also know about the properties for sale in France at various locations. The houses for sale in France come in different prices depending on the location

    ReplyDelete
  2. jaki kredyt konsolidacyjny Przeworsk kredyty konsolidacyjne Ropczyce konsolidacja kredytów Tomaszów lubelski.
    konsolidacja kredytów Ropczyce kredyty konsolidacyjne Łańcut konsolidacja kredytów Przemyśl.
    kredyty gotówkowe Lublin pożyczka bez bik Łańcut kredyty gotówkowe Dębica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you don't monetize your blog, don't waste your traffic, you
    can earn extra cash every month because you've got hi quality content.
    If you want to know how to make extra $$$,
    search for: Boorfe's tips best adsense alternative

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peculiar article, totally what I needed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment